Thursday, November 04, 2004

birthday reflections

So honestly speaking, yesterday was the worst birthday I've ever had. I was so sick that I left work early to go home and try to sleep it off. My back was still killing me, and I couldn't take any drugs for it because I couldn't keep food in my stomach. It was lose-lose.

The only reason I went to the dojang at all was because someone had mistakenly forwarded the email regarding the surprise cake thingy to the entire black belts list. I couldn't take the bb class because we were doing self-defense and there's no way I was going to let Kay throw me around. Well, I wouldn't do that if I was healthy, but with my back problems? No way.

So once again I was absolutely useless.

BUT. Despite the general suckiness, I did get a lot of happy birthday wishes (mostly from people in Boston - Susan must've sent out an email, am I right?) =) No one at work knew it was my birthday but that's OK. I was too sick to care in the daytime. Melanie was really sweet and her mom baked a gorgeous cake and it was really nice. Sab Jr mandated that everyone needs to practice their singing (oh boy were they out of tune!) but it was still cool.

Adolfo gave me this sweatshirt which he had made. Which I don't think I would ever wear because it looks like it's been spray painted on. But it was really thoughtful and a cute gesture. on the front it says "Team West Side" and "captain" and on the back it says "Christina Park aka sparky noona 03". Maybe I'll have it framed and put it up on my wall. And James gave me a squishy panda bear. Wrapped in magazine paper and athletic tape. HAHA...it was so funny. And hard to open. My boys are thoughtful, it's cool.

Well, the good thing about being sick is if you can't eat food you can't gain weight.

So I now have 3 cakes in my fridge that look really tasty and I'm not allowed to eat any of them. Anyone want some cake?

No comments: