Back from Mexico. A whole host of thoughts from the experience. It was quite possibly one of the best TKD trips I've ever been on.
1) Being Korean is so super awesome sometimes. My roommate on the trip said: "you have so much Korean pride, you make me want to be Korean". (She's white, from PA). My faith in Korean-ness when it's done "right" was restored. The hospitality from GM Park was amazing, and the masters who were our coaches really went out of their way to take care of us.
2) Redemption - so I ended up fighting the same girl that I fought the first time I ever went to US Open, in 2002. Back then I was pretty raw, but I fought hard and couldn't get them to score my points for the life of me. I remember Sab throwing a fit and being really upset. So being on her home turf with her refs and being the first match of the day didn't bode well. However, despite feeling like my legs had turned to lead, a little shady judging and some shady refereeing (SIX kyongos?? When clearly she was grabbing ME??) - I still came out on top 11-8. Hah!
3) Just once I would like to be on a team where I wasn't captain. However, I really didn't mind with this group because they were all really cool. I've decided I'd rather be on a team of people who are perhaps less talented and less experienced, but who have good attitudes. I think the clear difference is that we were all dojang kids who compete, as opposed to competitors who do Taekwondo. They were great to travel with.
4) What is up with girls having crushes on their coaches who are much much older than them? (Jaac no comments from you). Well, it was kind of cute but kind of weird, because she's 14 and he's 34. I hope she let's it go when he gets married, or else his wife is going to be really annoyed.
5) I love being noona. I made a new dongseng on the trip. Such a cute kid, so very Korean. I wasn't used to being called "noona" so I think I ignored him for awhile. Since the only person who calls me noona is Daniel. (Derek and Dylan call me sparky noona or christina noona). But it was very cute when Andy would hover around asking if I needed help warming up, or how eager he was to help me tape up my feet before I sparred. Why was I an only child?? *sigh*
6) Our team was nearly all Christian - it was such a cool experience. Coach Yi prayed for us in the morning before we went to the competition, and it was so encouraging to see him praying for Andy right before he fought. Mister Bob (Coach Leach) was reading "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" in his spare time, and even the weird unison with which EVERYONE said "God bless you" when someone sneezed was just...cool. Coach Yi ended up having a long talk with Steven on the plane ride home about how to live out his faith - I woke up in the middle of it and asked Andy what was going on and then ended up having a good talk with him about being a Christian athlete and challenging him about really understanding what the gospel is, and what his role in youth group is, etc. It was so totally awesome. Looking at him is like looking at myself when I was 16 and in youth group.
All in all - it was very refreshing and renewing in a sense of purpose and identity. And beating Mexicans. Yay for beating up Mexicans!
No comments:
Post a Comment