Saturday, November 27, 2004

what a feel-good day...

So yeah, family-is-cool part 2. Feel-good moment of the day 1 came when I walked in the door and saw Derek and Dylan wearing the shirts I'd gotten them from Colorado. And when S Jr showed up, he was wearing my Mexico shirt. Hrmm he wore that on Tuesday too, I hope he washed it...but yeah, it was nice to see my gifts going to good use. That's the best part about gift-giving - knowing that they didn't just shove stuff away in a closet somewhere.

I was a little apprehensive about intruding on Sabs' family thing today, but it turned out to be awesome. There was this huge mixup about what was actually going on, and when I showed up at 1pm like Sr told me to, it turned out that all the plans had changed. But I was content with playing with the boys and hanging out with the family.

It's really nice to be included in their family - good to see their mother again, if only briefly. We watched the tapes of my matches and she kept telling me I had to eat chicken and ginseng because I was so short. Um, yeah, no hope of getting any taller here. Got to have some good conversations with their sister and her husband...chatted with the niece and nephew...cousin showed up...etc. It was surprisingly...comfortable.

We played Texas hold 'em and it was just too stressful for me. I ended up winning in the end (jackpot of $12) but only because we had to leave and I got lucky. We all went all in and just flipped the cards, no bluffing, no betting. I can't bluff for the life of me. I kept trying to fold when I could have checked. Patrick laughed at me so much that after awhile he just started telling me what to do. And Jr dealt for me whenever I was the dealer. I think I could have figured out dealing, at least. But I don't plan on ever getting good at gambling so I guess it's not really worth it.

I was going to use my winnings to pay for my movie ticket but he didn't let me do that either. So now I have $12 but I feel kind of guilty having it. Maybe I'll give to to some homeless person today. We went to see National Treasure - pretty good movie. Well, I think Jr liked it more than I did...the kids (Derek and his two cousins) seemed to like it for the action but we thought it was more interesting in the historical sense. I just like seeing smart people, even if they're just acting smart. And the guy was supposed to have a degree in Mechanical Engineering from MIT so of course he had to be cool. =) Haha...

Feel-good moment of the day 2 came when Dylan had to go to bed and came out in his pajamas to say goodnight to everyone. He went around to each of us saying goodnight, and when he got to Derek he said "hug" and gave his brother a huge hug. Those boys...so cute.

It was really strange yet really cool to see Sabs being...normal people. It's very rare that I actually socialize with them, and just have fun. On the way home I told Jr I was going to have to knock him off his pedestal now. He just laughed.

No comments: