You know what I'm missing? Some good old-fashioned praise. In the Korean style. Not necessarily in the language, but...if you've ever gone to a Korean church, particularly in youth groups, there's a certain style of praise and worship. Ah, I miss the days of KCF (Korean Christian Fellowship - the community of my undergrad years). We were small, but...I don't know, there was something about it that's still very special to me. I remember that year that I went to NCPC small group and how much I loved worship on Fridays...
The thing that's difficult for me about going to a "white church" (although Redeemer has a lot of Asian attendees, it's definitely not an Asian church) is the musical worship. Over the years I've actually grown to appreciate hymns, and I was exposed to plenty of classical music growing up. However, having just hymns all the time makes me feel like I'm missing something. Even when I went to the evening service, it was the same old stuff, just in a jazz style. Which was cool, but for me, I just couldn't worship in that setting.
While Susan was visiting, we went to Flushing (home of all things fobbily Korean in NYC). One of the Korean stores we went into had a Christian bookstore-ish section. What caught my attention immediately was the music playing there - the CD was actually in Korean but it was fairly modern praise music. But totally Korean style.
The CD cost me $18.
I need to find me a Korean church. And not just for the reasons for which my parents want me to find a Korean church. (ie. Korean church --> Korean man). The more I'm away from it, the more I realize that that's the community that I'm missing.
It's just not the same to listen to recordings. A close substitute, but there's got to be corporate worship too...hrrm. Something more to think about, I suppose.
No comments:
Post a Comment