Friday, October 01, 2004

Voting: Choosing between "I failed" and "I'm not him"

So due to the really annoying concensus that I *have* to vote, I actually started looking into it. Actually it was more of the fact that I can't exactly avoid Sabs from now until election day, and having them mad at me that I didn't vote right before Nationals is probably not a good idea. I'm a horrible liar so it's not like I can tell them I did when I really didn't...and they're bound to ask.

However - I will staunchly reiterate that it is a pure waste of my time. As shown by the good hour I've already wasted online trying to figure out what state I'm supposed to vote in and how. Not to mention the fact that I'm supposed to physically GO someplace to do it?

There are things you can change and things you can't. People will argue that my vote matters. But in the states of CA, MA, and NY where I have lived - it really doesn't. They're going to be Democrat regardless. Maybe I should just vote for Bush to prove that my vote doesn't matter.

It's like those stupid protestors in Times Sq. or the weird Chinese Falun Dafa holding posters of tortured people and meditating on the streets - my exorbitant tax dollars better not be paying for your propoganda and waste of paper. I mean...if the point of protesting is to make people aware, then shouldn't you be more savvy about it and do it in a way that causes people to care instead of making them automatically filter you out of their line of vision? When I see another one of those posters and the people wearing yellow t-shirts, I almost run into them because I've zoned them out. (And tripping over someone meditation isn't a good thing).

But Peter has a point. The only decent one I've heard regarding all this political crap. If I don't vote, I don't have a right to complain about governmental issues. Which apparently include taxes, so I guess I have complained about issues. So call me pessimistic, but either way, we're in trouble. Bush is apparently bad and Kerry's strongest point appears to be "I'm not Bush". That's like saying "nuh-uh" is a good argument. But apparently a few hours of my life wasted now is worth the right to complain for the next 4 years alongside everyone else.

I can't believe I'm caving. I never voted for any of my high school Presidents because it was just a popularity contest and I thought that was stupid. And it undoubtably was. Though I must say the platform of one candidate to bring change from toilet paper in squares to toilet paper in rolls was actually successful. That is impact his presidency is remembered for. Toilet paper.

Anyways. So I'm about to send in my registration. I'd better not get any phone calls or junk mail as a result. Or worse...jury duty.

The New York Times is disgustingly pro-Kerry/anti-Bush in its editorials. Wow. I was actually interested in the debate over energy and resources until I realized that it's the 4th article I've read that bashes Bush and talks up Kerry. Given the apparently bias, I don't think I can count this guy's opinion for much anymore.

I can't believe I let myself be bullied into voting, of all things.

1 comment:

mrs. ji said...

omg, you have to vote.

people DIE for that right.

and the government has a LOT of impact on your life, even if you don't realize it. try living in a country with a tyrannical government...