The one moment that I love most is watching the moment a championship game ends. That very second when you see the reactions of the winning team - there is nothing in my mind that is a greater expression of pure joy.

That moment when even the most stoic composed people are overcome by emotion, when tired legs suddenly sprint to find a teammate or a coach to hug - I think that is the single most beautiful moment ever. (Note: me being a 20-something who has not yet gone through a wedding, pregnancy, childbirth, or other such pivotal and/or miracle-of-life moments).
As much as I didn't particularly like Italy - or France either, for that matter - I couldn't help but to feel their joy at that last penalty kick. I thought I was going to throw up under the pressure of each kick, and shared in the devastation of the guy who hit the crossbar. (Boy is he never going to forgive himself for that one). But no matter which team it was that won, I just wanted to see the celebration at the end.
I wonder if that's what heaven will be like. All that buildup to that one championship game when you know you've won, that all the hard work and putting your heart wholly out on the line - that one moment when you know that you've won and are overtaken with joy. That one moment when you realize without a doubt that everything was worth it, and you've collectively reached the ultimate goal you've been fighting for.

Captains are always my favorites. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment