Monday, July 03, 2006

not normal

My parents and I seem to not follow the traditional parent-child roles sometimes. It boggles my mind. Sure, they're traditional (and conservative) about a great many things. These are the people who would call me at 10pm every night of my first semester freshman year, and then nag me if I wasn't in my room. Also the people who, after my inadvertant 12 hour drive from LA (more on spontanaeity another time) and 3pm arrival in Fremont and collapse on R&Y's futon, forced me to promptly drive home bc sleeping on a couch in an apt habited by boys was unacceptable. They did that overprotective thing like no other, with the logic of "well, other people, if they lose a kid, then they have a spare. We only have one, so we can't let anything happen to you."

(And this is why people should have more than one child...)

So my parents own a small business, like many immigrants. Their business happens to be in women's fashion. I am not fashionable. See where I'm going with this?

You would think with all my tomboy tendencies growing up, that my mom would have given up trying to dress me up years ago. But no. It was just lying dormant in the time that I adamantly refused it, and waiting to release itself in full force...now.

The other night she brings home some dresses from our store - which I'm sure are best-sellers and hot off the rack, as she tells me. My parents have good fashion sense, for colors, for trends, etc. However, I'm just not that trendy. I don't like things tight. I don't see why things have to be ripped, faded, or have holes. She makes me try them on.

The kicker is, my mom and I proceeded to have this whole argument over this dress, because I thought it was cut way too low, and she thought I was ridiculously conservative.

Not normal, I tell you...

No comments: