Wednesday, December 29, 2004

christmas

I went home with a half-full suitcase. And came back with two. I can't believe my mom managed to stuff a VCR in there. Padded by 김, no less. (That's seaweed). I think the frozen 불고기 (meat) was a little too much - when I unpacked it there was a dent in the VCR.

(I got my parents a DVD/VCR combo for Christmas so we had an extra VCR lying around...and our apt. is sorely lacking a VCR that wasn't from the early 90's - the last time I made match tapes they came out with all these lines across them.)

So despite my efforts to not ask for anything for Christmas, they managed to insist on paying for new clothes and such. I think it's all a part of my mom's secret plan to turn me into a girl. Well, it's no secret because clearly the sole purpose of that is for the whole Korean guy thing. So for the first time in my life, I went outlet shopping and didn't buy a thing from Nike and Adidas. And now I own some black shoes, a wool coat, and amongst other things - a pink sweater. Well, it's not totally girly pink - it's kind of dark pink - but it's still...PINK.

I guess Christmas in the present-realm was quite successful. I love the holidays, because it's a good excuse to get people gifts. It's like one big challenge, to find people things that they would like but wouldn't necessarily buy for themselves.

Most notable reactions:

Sydney (my 18 month-old niece) - I got her this Disney electric toothbrush thing with a Toy Story refill head. Yeah, who knew that a little kid would want a toothbrush, but that's the tip I got so I went ahead and bought it. She rips it open, grins and toddles around the house exclaiming "brush! your! teeth!" (In slightly slurred not-quite-two-year-old speech).

Sab Sr - well...it got him to break the silence. We'll see what transpires this week.

I walked into the apt. today (more like, staggered with the bags) to find a package from Rich. I find it really funny that a) he didn't take any of the price tags off of anything and b) there were two different shirts in the package, one size large and one size small (the irony is, I wear a medium). But indeed it was the thought that counts and it was quite thoughtful.

And Ryan Huangm, you're so dead!! Hahaha...I actually found it kind of funny. Some book, "Guide to your Love Life" or something like that. But what was more funny was that he sent an "I'm sorry" card with it. Totally made my day last week.

I guess the next thing on the agenda is this whole New Year's in Times Sq business. *sigh* More alcohol. Ick. I hate alcohol.

No comments: