Searching for Bobby Fischer - one of my favorite movies, along with Miracle. So inspiring. So true.
When I look at Josh and his progression at chess and competition through the movie - it feels like I'm watching myself. Competition after competition, looking down at the ground while getting chewed out for throwing a match, getting chewed out and feeling belittled - all this from people who care so much about the talent and the potential and winning that sometimes they forget to express how much they care about the protege.
It's about the evolution of his relationships, and how these people help him understand his gift and how to use it. How he so desperately seeks the approval, respect, and love from his father and his coach, and how in their insensitive ways they don't see it until they've hurt him and almost made him lose his love for the game.
******************
"Maybe it's better not to be the best. Because then you can lose, and it's OK."
I wonder what it would feel like for it to be OK to lose.
******************
"How're you feeling? Scared?"
"I can't beat him."
"You might be right. I'm not supposed to say that, but...you'd know I was lying if I said anything else. I have something for you. It says: This is to certify that Josh Waitzkin, on this day, has, in the eyes of his teacher, attained the rank of Grandmaster. I have never been so proud of anyone in my life. I'm honored to call myself your teacher."
(Josh looks at the certificate, gets up and goes over to Bruce, and hugs him)
"I'm so scared."
"I know."
"Will you stay until it's over?"
"Will I stay? I wouldn't miss it for the world."
I wonder what it feels like to have a coach who understands when you're scared. And what it's like to have a coach who wouldn't miss your competition for the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment