Saturday, December 18, 2004

strike day #4

You know...life without Taekwondo ain't half bad. It's very strange, having all this time on my hands (and still not getting enough sleep) - but it's not as miserable as I thought it would be. Well no, scratch that, it's been pretty miserable, but not as a result of sitting on my butt doing nothing. Tonight, I went to the JCC right after work and ran, lifted, did Gerry's mini-squat-exercises-of-death, sidekicks, knee-ups, side-to-sides, and even shadow sparred. Yay me! My knee is going to be strong if it kills me. And with no thanks to anyone but Gerry. I wonder if he'd want to come to Team Trials and sit in my chair.

chrim came to town with the boyfriend, and we met up for dinner with jjcho - otherwise known as cgitw (cutest girl in the world). It was tonight I realized - I need to get out more. I was just talking to Rich today about how I'm such a loser homebody and I'm so tired after work that I'd rather just go home and sit in front of the tv by myself than go out with people. But I forced myself to go out, since I haven't seen crhim in 2 years - and it was totally worth it. I miss old friends. (A common theme these days). MIT may have sucked in a lot of ways but...there's something about alums getting together. You just can't escape the nerdiness. We were getting far too excited discussing polymer chemistry used for making artificial arteries...the boyfriend is in dental school, and said something about "calculus on the teeth" and I couldn't help blurting out "um, you mean like integrals?" HAHAHA...I'm a dork.

But yeah - there's so much more to the city than my daily routine. And downtown is actually kind of cool in the "wow this is disturbing in a 정신없어 sort of way". Lots of young people, cheap food, strange sights, far too loud and smoky and hectic. I've become too used to the rich old people on the upper west side, diners and restaurants...though I guess I'm internally like 40 and old anyways. (Reminds of when I used to tell my best friend in college that she was a 40 year old trapped in a 20 year old's body because she listened to opera instead of pop music).

I'm aging before my time. When did I become crusty and old? I need to be 24. I used to like meeting new people and getting to know them. Now it seems like so much work. Eh.

Strike day #4 complete. Haven't caved yet. I wonder if they noticed. Well...it's not in my court ever since the ball was taken away from me and thrown at my head and I can't find where it bounced off to because my head still hurts. Man...training alone can be kind of hard.

No comments: